Ugh, exercise! It is a dreaded word that millions of people hate to utter. Many rather get their teeth pulled before actually working out. Why is this? I myself do not understand as it is an addiction for me, the endorphins, the results, the overall accomplishment makes me want to workout now. But let’s dig deeper into why people hate to exercise. Then I will turn it around and list how you can have fun exercising and even craving to do it everyday.
5 Excuses we tell ourselves and the truths
1. “I don’t have time” – this is the most common that I hear all the time. And I get it, we are all busy trying to accomplish so much in one day squeezing in an hour workout is just not feasible. What if I told you, you do not need to do an hour. In fact, you can get the same results in half the time. This is done by what is known as HIIT or High Intensity Interval Training. This is where you max your speed for a short period of time followed by rest a short period of time. Example is sprinting or putting high resistance on machine for 30 seconds and lower for 30 seconds. You can do this with weights as well by supersetting exercises with no rest. This is kicking your workout up a notch elevating your heart rate faster making you work in shorter amount of time.
2. “I don’t have money for the gym or studio” This is an easy one. There are so many apps and websites that give free workouts that you can do at home or outside, you don’t even need a gym. I do caution on this by stating to make sure to look at the videos on proper form that is extremely important not only to avoid injury but for best results. Another way to bust this myth is to look at your budget and see if you can cut back on the $4 lattes everyday. I know some gyms are only less than $2 a day. It is worth investing in yourself.
3. ” I lack motivation” Great, so do we all at some point. I understand that working out actually involves work, now I hate to be harsh, but so does life. You have to work to get results and a better life. Ask yourself “why do I NEED to workout?” There is an underlying cause (more energy, lose weight, breathe better, feel good, fit in that dress, feel confident, to avoid sickness). Your why is actually your goal and that my friend is your motivation.
4. “I don’t need to exercise” Ha and you don’t need to breathe either. Seriously, this goes hand in hand with nutrition. Remember your goal? Good! Even though good nutrition is 80% factored in, what about the other 20%?. Exercise is equivalent to breathing, actually it can greatly improve your breathing. Other reasons why you need exercise: Increases longevity, improves mood, increases energy levels, improves sleep, improves sex life. Need I say more??
5. “Exercise is so boring” Yea if you make it boring. Believe me, there is some sort of activity you like right? Well that’s exercising. Even chasing your kids is exercising. And that’s fun right? But what if you are out of breath chasing your kids?? That’s where I come in and tell you working out and exercise does not have to be boring.
Now let’s have some fun!!
I am writing this after my 20 minute non stop leg workout and I am pumped! As stated above you do not need to workout on a machine for an hour to get a workout in. In fact, that is even worse for you. I am here to tell you there are fun things to incorporate in your workout that will not only get you hooked but addicted!
1. Going back to my myth buster #1 – higher intensity, less time. There is another workout called Tabata. 20 seconds of intense exercise, 10 seconds rest. Seriously this is a workout and it goes by so fast, it’s over before you know it.
2. Bust a move!! Yes dancing is a great form of exercise. Why do you think classes like WERQ and Zumba pack the room? I absolutely love taking a WERQ class, it is a fun way to work up a sweat. If you can’t get to a class or if you don’t want to show off your stuff in a group, there are hundreds of videos you can watch at home. A good one is called Dance Off The Inches Hip Hop, part of a series.
3. Make it Social. Grab your buddies and play basketball or softball, grab your girlfriends for yoga or spinning classes, grab your partner and go running or train together. As they say a couple that trains together stays together.
4. Take it outdoors. What’s better than getting out in the fresh air and be amongst nature? You can run, bike, walk, anything. It is so therapeutic and clears your mind. You can even get a good walk in during your lunch hour. Weather permitted of course.
5. Sign up for a run/walk for a good cause. It is a good feeling to raise money by exercising for those who are not able and when you are grateful that you can exercise it helps boost your overall mood. Win/win!!
6. Stand up paddle boarding, kayaking, rowing, skiing. These are fun and adventurous ways to get a good workout.
There are many so many ways to get up and going and have fun with your workouts. What are the ways you have fun with your workouts, please comment below.