I am hailing collagen as the fountain of youth! Unfortunately collagen in our bodies lesson as we get older which is why there is a great need for supplementation. Before I go into detail on collagen health benefits and my review I want to give you a little insight is to what collagen is and the different types.
What is collagen?
Collagen is the most abundant protein in the body found in muscle, bones, skin and tendons. It is the substance that holds the body together. There are 16 different types of collagen including collagen types 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 10. However 80-90% of the body is comprised of types 1, 2, 3.
The different types of collagen
Type 1 is the most abundant and helps form bones and can be found in the GI Tract.
Type 2 basically helps build cartilage which is found in connective tissue. Our health of our joints depends on this type.
Type 3 is a major component of the extracellular matrix that makes up our organs and skin. It helps give skin it’s elasticity and firmness. Important part of Type 3 is it forms blood vessels and tissues within the heart which is why a deficiency in Type 3 can cause an early death.
Type 4 has the important part of forming basal lamina surrounding the organs, muscle and fat. Basal lamina are needed for various blood vessel and nerve functions. They like the majority of our digestive organs and respiratory systems.
Type 5 makes the surface of cells as well as hair strands and tissue found in women’s placentas.
Type 10 helps new bone formation
What makes collagen so special?
There are so many benefits of collagen and below are seven of the many health benefits of collagen – taken from Dr. Axe
1. Improves the health of skin and hair – The aging process is inevitable. As I stated above, collagen dissipates as we get older, skin sags, wrinkles happen and hair thins. Turning 40 I am focusing now on reversing this process by taking collagen supplements to repair the damage as it firms and smooths skin, and helps the cells renew and repair. It also helps diminish the pesky cellulite and stretch marks.
2. Reduces joint pain – Again, as we age the collagen around our tendons are lost that leads to stiffness, swollen joints and aches. Adding collagen back in will cover and hold the bones together and just like an oiled hinge, aids in smoother movement of the joints that will reduce the pain.
3. Helps heal leaky gut – My last post talks about the Lectins in whole grains that are bad for your gut. Adding collagen helps form connective tissue and therefore “seals and heals” the protective lining of the gastrointestinal tract. Supplementing with collagen can help treat gastrointestinal symptoms and disorders, including leaky gut syndrome, IBS, acid reflux, Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis.
4.Boost Metabolism, muscle mass, energy – A better form of protein, collagen is great assistance for your workout and diet needs. Again as we get older (noticing a trend), we lose this collagen that helps retain muscle which is definitely needed to support bone health and posture. The glycine in collagen also has important roles in both functions of the digestive and central nervous systems, which play big roles in maintaining a healthy, youthful body. Yes please!
5. Strengthens nails, hair and teeth – Adding collagen in your diet can keep your nails strong and possibly reverse the signs of hair loss.
6. Improves liver health – Collagen is helpful to detox the body of harmful substances, keep heart young and improve blood flow. Again, the glycine plays a roll in minimizing liver damage when it absorbs foreign substances and toxins including alcohol.
7. Protects cardiovascular health – The amino acid proline that is in collagen shrinks the fat and minimizes the fat accumulation. Proline is needed for tissue repair within the joints and arteries, and helps control blood pressure.
Now that you know what collagen is and it’s many benefits, it is imperative to have this supplement in your daily lifestyle. Vital Proteins Collagen is ranked #1 product on Amazon and for very good reasons:
Product: Vital Proteins Collagen
Best place to buy: Amazon
Price: $43 for 20oz
Amazon Prime: Yes
Why this is ranked #1: Vital Proteins Collagen uses Sourced from grass-fed, pasture-raised bovine (a naturally occurring protein found in the cartilage and bones of cows) to ensure a natural, high quality, and sustainable source of this nutrient. No taste so it’s great to put in anything.
Uses: Great in smoothies as a replacement for the chemical laden protein powder and also great in baking to healthy muffins and pancakes for added protein.
I love using Vital Protein Collagen in my smoothies as it has no taste it mixes well with everything. I notice a difference in my energy and my skin to a softer fuller glow. Wouldn’t you want to reverse the again process too? Let me know if you have any questions on collagen and Vita Proteins and any comments you may have below. Thank you!